See and Learn First Concepts
See and Learn First Concepts is designed to help parents and educators to teach children about space, shapes and size.
See and Learn First Concepts is the second step in See and Learn Numbers. It is designed to teach children about shapes, colors, sizes, ordering, comparing, sorting and sequences. See and Learn First Concepts also teaches the language needed to talk about these concepts.
See and Learn First Concepts includes the following activities:
- Matching Sizes
- Matching Colors
- Matching Shapes
- Matching Positions
- Selecting Sizes
- Selecting Colors
- Selecting Shapes
- Selecting Positions
- Naming Sizes
- Naming Colors
- Naming Shapes
- Naming Positions
- Sorting Colors
- Sorting Shapes
- Comparing Sizes
- Learning Ordering
- Learning Sequences
The concepts taught are:
- Sizes - big/small, thick/thin, long/short, tall/short
- Colors - red, blue, yellow, green, orange, pink, white, brown, black, purple
- Shapes - square, circle, triangle, rectangle, star, diamond, oval
- Comparisons - big/bigger/biggest, small/smaller/smallest, thick/thicker/thickest, thin/thinner/thinnest, tall/taller/tallest, short/shorter/shortest, long/longer/longest
- Ordering - first/second/last
- Positions - in, on, under, next to, in front, behind
When to start
See and Learn First Concepts is suitable for children who understand and can say (or sign) at least 100 words. For many children with Down syndrome, this will be at around 3 or 4 years of age.
Children who are working through the activities in See and Learn First Concepts can also be working through the activities in See and Learn First Counting.
See and Learn First Concepts will be available as apps for a variety of tablet and computer platforms and as ready-made kits.
- See and Learn First Concepts for Apple iPads - coming soon
- See and Learn First Concepts for Android Tablets - coming soon
- See and Learn First Concepts for Windows 10 devices - coming soon
(Apps include US and UK English editions.)
- See and Learn First Concepts - US English edition - coming soon
- See and Learn First Concepts - UK English edition - coming soon
The development of See and Learn Numbers was generously supported by the Big Lottery Fund and The Rayne Foundation.