See and Learn Saying More Words
See and Learn Saying More Words is designed to help children with Down syndrome to say words and improve the accuracy of their word productions. It may also be helpful for other children with similar speech difficulties.
See and Learn Saying More Words supports simple activities that encourage the imitation and repetition of one- and two-syllable words. It includes seven sets of words, each starting with a particular speech sound (c/k, ch, f, g, r, t and v). The target words represent a range of vowel-consonant combinations and are selected from vocabulary suitable for younger children.
See and Learn Saying More Words can help parents, teachers and therapists support regular speech practice. Research suggests that practice and repetition are necessary to develop clearer speech.
See and Learn Saying More Words builds on the skills taught in the previous three See and Learn Speech steps.
See and Learn Saying More Words features three activities:
- Learning to Say Words - using picture prompt cards and speechreading cues to encourage first attempts at saying words
- Practicing Saying Words - using sets of picture prompt cards in games to encourage more complete word production
- Rehearsing Saying Words - multiple repetitions of specific words to improve the clarity and consistency of word production
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Saying More Words when they:
- can produce at least some of the consonants c/k, ch, f, g, r, t and v - for example, g, and t
- can produce simple combinations of these consonants and a vowel - for example, tea and key
We recommend that young children practice these activities as soon as they meet these criteria. However, the activities are also suitable for older children who need additional practice to improve their speech clarity.
Editions and features
See and Learn Saying Words is available as a printed kit or as an app. Both feature:
- Step-by-step guidance - a comprehensive guide, explaining the design of the activities and providing step-by-step instructions
- Record keeping - printable record sheets for recording progress
- Clear color picture prompt 'cards' - laminated cards in the print edition, similar 'cards' on screen in the apps
In addition, the apps offer:
- Simple activity screens - keeping distractions to a minimum to help children focus on the tasks at hand
- Prerecorded voice prompts - optionally offering repeated playback of spoken words
- Customizable - a variety of options to configure voices, random cards sequence, applause at the end of activities and more
- See and Learn Saying More Words kit (US English, 2nd edition) - available now from our US store
- See and Learn Saying More Words kit (UK English, 2nd edition) - available now from our UK store
- See and Learn Saying More Words for iPads - available now on the Apple App Store
- See and Learn Saying More Words for Android tablets - available now on Google Play
- See and Learn Saying More Words for Windows 8.1 devices - available now on the Windows Store
- See and Learn Saying More Words for Kindle Fire tablets - available now on Amazon
The apps include both UK and US English resources.
See and Learn Saying More Words is the fourth step in the See and Learn Speech program. The step before See and Learn Saying More Words is See and Learn Saying Words. The next step is See and Learn Saying Later Words.
Older children who may benefit from additional speech practice can work on the activities in the See and Learn Speech program. alongside the Reading and Language Reading and Language Intervention for Children with Down Syndrome (RLI).