See and Learn Sentences 1
Teach spoken words, simple sentences, early grammar and sight word reading.
See and Learn Sentences 1 provides resources, activities and guidance to teach children to use words to make simple sentences.
It includes everything you need to implement a structured, evidence-based program to support children with Down syndrome and other children with similar learning needs.
A series of 25 graded reading books illustrate new vocabulary and grammar rules in a variety of sentences.
Matching, selecting and naming activities teach and test your child's understanding of the new vocabulary, sight words and sentences.
A sentence building activity helps your child learn to put words in the correct order to make grammatically-correct sentences.
Available as a printed kit or as an app, See and Learn Sentences 1 includes detailed, step-by-step guidance and record forms for tracking your child's progress.
- extend vocabulary and sight word knowledge with 174 words and sight words selected from the words commonly learned at this stage of development - including nouns, adjectives, verbs and prepositions
- understand longer sentences with 277 sentences in 25 reading books - using the taught vocabulary and sight words with repetition of individual words and sentence structures
- use carrier phrases to encourage longer utterances, including "I am…", "I like…", "Here is…", "Look at" and "This is…"
- use three-keyword sentence structures , including agent-action-object
- apply early grammar rules , including plural -s, plural is/are, personal pronouns (he/she/they/I)
- pre-selected vocabulary that is developmentally appropriate for children at this stage of language development
- 25 carefully structured short books that are taught in sequence to introduce new vocabulary and grammar and to rehearse and consolidate vocabulary and grammar previously taught
- 433 bright, clear photographs providing natural and realistic representations of new vocabulary and sentences
- 10 teaching activities : Reading Books, Matching Pictures, Selecting Pictures, Naming Pictures, Matching, Sight Words, Selecting Sight Words, Reading Sight Words, Understanding Sight Words, Understanding Sentences, Building Sentences
- simple design to avoid distraction and focus attention on the learning tasks
- a teaching program that advances in small steps and offers lots of opportunities for practice and consolidation
- a detailed guide with step-by-step instructions
- record forms that can be printed to track your child's progress and plan the teaching activities
- resources for teaching in any English dialect (optional spoken prompts are included in the app editions with UK and US accents)
See and Learn Sentences 1 is suitable for children who:
- understand at least 150 words
- can say or sign at least 60 of the words that they understand
- use some two keyword phrases when talking (or signing)
Content and activities
See and Learn Sentences 1 includes 25 books to teach 174 words and sight words in 277 different sentences.
The teaching approaches in See and Learn Sentences 1 build on the children's relative strengths in visual processing, minimize working memory demands, advance in small steps and offer lots of opportunities for practice and consolidation.