See and Learn Saying Words 2
See and Learn Saying Words 2 is designed to help children with Down syndrome to say words and improve the accuracy of their word productions. It may also be helpful for other children with similar speech difficulties.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 supports simple activities that encourage the imitation and repetition of one- and two-syllable words. It includes seven sets of words,
each starting with a particular speech sound (
See and Learn Saying Words 2 can help parents, teachers and therapists support regular speech practice. Research suggests that practice and repetition are necessary to develop clearer speech.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 builds on the skills taught in the previous three See and Learn Speech steps.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 features three activities:
- Learning to Say Words - using picture prompt cards and speechreading cues to encourage first attempts at saying words
- Practicing Saying Words - using sets of picture prompt cards in games to encourage more complete word production
- Rehearsing Saying Words - multiple repetitions of specific words to improve the clarity and consistency of word production
Children can start the activities in See and Learn Saying Words 2 when they:
can produce at least some of the consonants
ck, ch, f, g, r, tand v- for example, g, and t
can produce simple combinations of these consonants and a vowel - for example,
tea and key
We recommend that young children practice these activities as soon as they meet these criteria. However, the activities are also suitable for older children who need additional practice to improve their speech clarity.
Editions and features
See and Learn Saying Words 2 is available as a printed kit or as an app. Both feature:
- Step-by-step guidance - a comprehensive guide, explaining the design of the activities and providing step-by-step instructions
- Record keeping - printable record sheets for recording progress
- Clear color picture prompt 'cards' - laminated cards in the print edition, similar 'cards' on screen in the apps
In addition, the apps offer:
- Simple activity screens - keeping distractions to a minimum to help children focus on the tasks at hand
- Pre-recorded voice prompts - optionally offering repeated playback of spoken words
- Customizable - a variety of options to configure voices, random cards sequence, applause at the end of activities and more
We hope to bring back support for Android and Windows devices in 2024, though this is dependent on sufficient funding to work on updates for these platforms.
See and Learn Saying Words 2 is the fourth step in the See and Learn Speech program. The step before See and Learn Saying Words 2 is See and Learn Saying Words 1. The next step is See and Learn Saying Words 3.
Older children who may benefit from additional speech practice can work on the activities in the See and Learn Speech program. alongside the Reading and Language Reading and Language Intervention for Children with Down Syndrome (RLI).