See and Learn Speech
See and Learn Speech is designed to help parents and educators support children with Down syndrome to develop clearer speech.
See and Learn Speech is designed to teach young children to hear and produce speech sounds (phonemes), to hear the differences between sounds (discrimination), to develop their speech sound system (phonology), and to produce clear speech. It can also help children to identify sounds in words (phonological awareness) which is important for reading.
See and Learn Speech is based on what is understood about how typically developing children learn to say words and what we know about the speech difficulties of children with Down syndrome. Speech and language development are inextricably linked and improving speech skills should benefit word and sentence learning and using spoken language to communicate.
See and Learn Speech offers a structured approach to support speech development, working in small steps towards clearer speech production and practicing skills including:
- becoming familiar with speech sounds - storing sounds in the memory system
- discriminating between speech sounds - hearing the differences between sounds
- producing speech sounds - individual sounds and simple combinations
- saying words - saying words that begin with a particular sound
- saying more complex words - saying words that have one, two, three and four syllables and putting words together
See and Learn Speech currently includes seven steps. Each step focuses on the development of specific speech skills through a series of activities. Subsequent steps build on the skills learned in previously completed steps. The activities are intended to complement the many speech development opportunities that occur naturally throughout a child's day.
- See and Learn Playing with Sounds
- See and Learn Putting Sounds Together
- See and Learn Saying Words
- See and Learn Saying More Words
- See and Learn Saying Later Words
- See and Learn Saying Longer Words and Phrases (coming soon)
- See and Learn Saying Word Endings (coming soon)
When to start
See and Learn Speech is designed to support speech development for babies and children with Down syndrome from 6 months of age through to primary/elementary school years. See and Learn Speech may also be helpful for other children with similar speech, language and learning needs.
Apps, kits or both
The steps in See and Learn Speech available as kits and as apps for a variety of platforms. Kit components are also be available to purchase separately for parents and educators wishing to mix computer-based and hands-on teaching activities.
For home and school
See and Learn programs include step-by-step instructions, ready-to-use teaching materials, and all the information needed to understand and implement them. They are designed to be easy for parents to use at home and to be suitable for use in early intervention services, nurseries, preschools and schools.
How to buy
See and Learn kits can be purchased from our online stores: