See and Learn Vocabulary 3
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 provides activities and step-by-step guidance to help parents and educators teach young children to understand and say 60 common early words. It is part of See and Learn Language and Reading - a structured teaching program designed to teach children with Down syndrome to talk and to read.
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 includes 54 pictures, together with a detailed guide and record sheets. The pictures provide visual support for teaching spoken language. New words are introduced steadily and taught through a sequence of simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
The vocabulary taught in See and Learn Vocabulary 3 is selected from the words most commonly learned early in life by most children. Pictures in the app can be personalized to be more meaningful for individual children. The activities are intended to supplement natural, everyday opportunities to learn language with the additional support most children with Down syndrome need to learn to communicate.
- US English: arm, bear, bowl, boy, brother, stroller, cake, stove, door, egg, finger, fork, gate, giraffe, girl, gloves, grandma, grandpa, grass, icecream, lady, leg, truck, man, milk, underwear, pen, pizza, plate, potty, sand, scarf, sister, slide, snake, stairs, faucet, tiger, toast, toe, tractor, building, climbing, drawing, falling, feeding, riding, swimming, wiping, broken, clean, dry, in, on
- UK English: arm, bear, bowl, boy, brother, pushchair, cake, cooker, door, egg, finger, fork, gate, giraffe, girl, gloves, grandma, grandpa, grass, ice-cream, lady, leg, lorry, man, milk, pants, pen, pizza, plate, potty, sand, scarf, sister, slide, snake, stairs, tap, tiger, toast, toe, tractor, building, climbing, drawing, falling, feeding, riding, swimming, wiping, broken, clean, dry, in, on
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 includes three activities:
- Matching Pictures - begins to teach the meaning of new words and encourages your child to look carefully at pictures, and to learn to distinguish between them
- Selecting Pictures - learning to understand the spoken words by linking them with the correct pictures
- Naming Pictures - encourages your child to practice saying the correct words for pictures
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning early spoken words
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- (Apps) Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
- (Apps) Optional voice prompts
- (Apps) Pictures can be personalized to be specific to the child
When to start
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 is designed for children who understand 80 to 120 words and say or sign 20 or more words.
Many children with Down syndrome will reach this stage by about 30 months, but rates of progress vary widely - some children will reach this stage earlier, some later.
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 can also be used with older children who are not yet saying all of these words even if they understand them.
- See and Learn Vocabulary 3 for Windows 10 PCs and tablets
- See and Learn Vocabulary 3 for iPads
- See and Learn Vocabulary 3 for Android tablets
- See and Learn Vocabulary 3 for Fire tablets
The apps include both UK and US English resources.
See and Learn Vocabulary 3 is part of the See and Learn Language and Reading program.
Children who have learned the vocabulary in See and Learn Vocabulary 3 are ready to start learning to read simple phrases using See and Learn Phrases 3. They are also ready to continue learning new vocabulary and sight words using See and Learn Vocabulary 4.