See and Learn Phrases 1
See and Learn Phrases 1 is designed to teach children with Down syndrome to progress from using single words to using two words together when they talk.
See and Learn Phrases 1 teaches two-keyword phrases illustrated in themed books using early vocabulary that is taught in See and Learn Vocabulary 1. It also introduces sight word reading using simple matching, selecting and naming activities.
See and Learn Phrases 1 introduces children with Down syndrome to early sight words to support the development of language skills. Research suggests that learning spoken language just from listening to it is hard for most children with Down syndrome, but if we support their learning using pictures and print they can make faster progress.
Simple books are used to illustrate and contrast short phrases and sentences containing the sight words being taught with matching and selecting activities. New words and phrases are introduced to support the typical progression of language development - from single words, through various two keyword constructions and then three keyword sentences. The written words and phrases first taught in See and Learn Phrases 1 are therefore selected to match these early stages of language learning.
See and Learn Phrases 1 includes 6 activities to teach 40 two-keyword phrases and 16 sight words.
- Reading books - introduces your child to books, teaches the meaning of the phrases and begins to draw your child's attention to the printed words
- Matching sight words - encourages your child to look carefully at the written words and to link them with their spoken forms
- Selecting sight words - allows your child to demonstrate that they are learning to link each printed word with its spoken form
- Reading sight words - encourages your child to practise saying the words that they can read
- Understanding sight words - allows your child to show that they understand the words that they can read by matching written words with the corresponding pictures
- Understanding phrases - allows your child to show that they understand the phrases that they can read by matching phrases with the corresponding pictures
- Sight words: baby, ball, bear, bed, brushing, cat, chair, dog, doll, drinking, eating, on, sitting, sleeping, table, washing
- Phrases: brushing doll, brushing bear, brushing baby, brushing cat, brushing dog, washing doll, washing bear, washing baby, washing cat, washing dog, doll is drinking, bear is drinking, baby is drinking, cat is drinking, dog is drinking, doll is eating, bear is eating, baby is eating, cat is eating, dog is eating, doll is sitting, bear is sitting, baby is sitting, cat is sitting, dog is sitting, doll is sleeping, bear is sleeping, baby is sleeping, cat is sleeping, dog is sleeping, on the chair, on the bed, on the table, doll's ball, cat's ball, dog's ball, bear's ball, baby's ball
- Developmentally appropriate language for children learning early spoken words and phrases
- Activities designed to reduce language and working memory demands
- Clear pictures provide visual representation of words
- Comprehensive guide providing step-by-step guidance and instructions
- Record forms included for printing and tracking your child's progress
- Ideal for use at home and in the classroom
- (Apps) Simple and uncluttered screens avoid distractions and help children focus on the information presented and learning goals
- (Apps) Optional voice prompts
When to start
See and Learn Phrases 1 is designed for children who:
- understand at least 50 words, including the nouns, verbs and preposition to be taught as sight words (baby, ball, bear, bed, brushing, cat, chair, dog, doll, drinking, eating, sitting, sleeping, table, washing, on)
- can say or sign some of the words that they understand
- can follow two-keyword instructions - for example, "wash doll" or "put bear to bed" in a play situation
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn Vocabulary 1 should be ready to start the activities in See and Learn Phrases 1.
We hope to bring back support for Android and Windows devices in 2024, though this is dependent on sufficient funding to work on updates for these platforms.
See and Learn Phrases 1 is part of the See and Learn Language and Reading programme.
Children who have learned the vocabulary in See and Learn Vocabulary 1 are ready to start learning to read sight words and phrases using See and Learn Phrases 1. They are also ready to continue learning new vocabulary and sight words using See and Learn Vocabulary 2.