See and Learn Sentences 1
Teach spoken words, simple sentences, early grammar and sight word
See and Learn Sentences 1 provides resources, activities and guidance to teach children
to use words to make simple sentences.
It includes everything you need to implement a structured, evidence-based programme to
support children with Down syndrome and other children with similar learning needs.
Available as a printed kit or as an app, See and Learn Sentences 1 includes detailed,
step-by-step guidance and record forms for tracking your child's progress.
- extend vocabulary and sight word knowledge with 174 words and sight words selected
from the words commonly learned at this stage of development - including nouns, adjectives, verbs
- understand longer sentences with 277 sentences in 25 reading books - using the
taught vocabulary and sight words with repetition of individual words and sentence structures
- use carrier phrases to encourage longer utterances, including "I am…", "I like…",
"Here is…", "Look at" and "This is…"
- use three-keyword sentence structures, including agent-action-object
- apply early grammar rules, including plural -s, plural is/are, personal pronouns
- pre-selected vocabulary that is developmentally appropriate for children at this
stage of language development
- 25 carefully structured short books that are taught in sequence to introduce new
vocabulary and grammar and to rehearse and consolidate vocabulary and grammar previously taught
- 433 bright, clear photographs providing natural and realistic representations of
new vocabulary and sentences
- 10 teaching activities: Reading Books, Matching Pictures, Selecting Pictures,
Naming Pictures, Matching, Sight Words, Selecting Sight Words, Reading Sight Words, Understanding
Sight Words, Understanding Sentences, Building Sentences
- simple design to avoid distraction and focus attention on the learning tasks
- a teaching programme that advances in small steps and offers lots of opportunities
for practice and consolidation
- a detailed guide with step-by-step instructions
- record forms that can be printed to track your child's progress and plan the
- resources for teaching in any English dialect (optional spoken prompts are
included in the app editions with UK and US accents)
See and Learn Sentences 1 is suitable for children who:
- understand at least 150 words
- can say or sign at least 60 of the words that they understand
- use some two keyword phrases when talking (or signing)
Children who have completed the activities in See and Learn Vocabulary 1, 2 and 3
and in See and Learn
Phrases 1, 2 and 3 will be ready to start the activities in See and Learn Sentences 1.
Content and activities
See and Learn Sentences 1 includes 25 books to teach 174 words and sight words in 277 different
The teaching approaches in See and Learn Sentences 1 build on the children's relative strengths in
visual processing, minimise working memory demands, advance in small steps and offer lots of
opportunities for practice and consolidation.